Thursday, 20 November 2014

Swabey is Spot On!

Kieran Swabey's sudden death penalty shoot out save helped the Year 11 football team reach the final of the u16 district cup beating Plantsbrook 5-4 on penalties. 

Arthur Terry started the brighter of the two sides at Coles Lane with some neat passing exchanges in the opening few minutes with no real chances being created. As time passed, a few half chances were created by both teams; but resolute defending from Alfie and Scott ensured Kieran wasn't tested in the Arthur Terry Goal.

The opening goal was scored by Chris following superb build up play throughout the whole team. Arthur Terry had already posed questions down the right hand side in the opening stages but Henry Harris slipped a perfect pass through to Sam Griffiths, a neat cut back gave Chris the chance to fire past the keeper into the net.

The goal gave Arthur Terry confidence and they continued to get the ball wide and cause trouble for the Plantsbrook defenders, neat passing allowed Terry to create more chances but unfortunately they couldn't add to their tally before half-time. 

Half time score 1-0.  

The second half started with Ollie Pearce replacing an injured Jamie Lucas at left back and Plantsbrook attacking more frequently than they had in the first half. Some key defending from Jacob Dyte and Alfie ensured Arthur Terry didn't concede.

Arthur Terry could only try and play on the counter attack and tried releasing the ball to Chris and Tom but Plantsbrook kept pushing for the equalising goal and they got their rewards after 10 minutes of the second half. 

After the scores had been made level both teams strived to score the winner in normal time but with no clear cut chances being created by Arthur Terry they were fortunate to take the game to extra time as Plantsbrook hit the crossbar in the final minute of normal time.

End of normal time score 1-1.

The game was taken to extra time and both teams had key chances with the highlight being Plantsbrook hitting the post in the final few minutes and a couple of long shots from Michael Benson and Henry Harris being blocked by defenders. Tom managed to get past his defender and unfortunately couldn't get his shot away in the final minute.

Full time score 1-1.

The game was to be decided on penalties. Kieran managed to save the 3rd penalty and the 4th penalty was put over the crossbar but Arthur Terry couldn't take advantage of this and it was 3-3 after the first 5 penalties. 

Plantsbrook scored their first sudden death penalty, Max Hayes made sure the game continued by scoring his penalty. Cue Kieran's big moment. The Plantsbrook player struck the ball hard and towards the top corner but Kieran managed to guess the correct way and produce a fantastic save to give Alfie Bailey the chance to win the game with his spot kick. Alfie had never taken a penalty before and despite words of advice to just pass the ball into the bottom corner he opted to strike the ball down the middle and Arthur Terry won the shootout putting them into the final of the u16 district cup. 

Arthur Terry win 5-4 on penalties.

A fantastic result for the lads and the chance for silverware in their final year at school!

Mr Turton 

No comments:

Post a Comment